This savory oatmeal recipe is simply nearly as good for breakfast as it’s for dinner or lunch. Eggs, avocado, and garlicky greens high creamy steel-cut oats.
In case you’re used to topping your morning oats with nut butter and contemporary fruit, the idea of savory oatmeal may sound unusual. However give it an opportunity, and I feel you’ll be shocked. Oats (which, in spite of everything, are a complete grain like farro, brown rice, wheat berries, or every other) pair completely with savory fixings like avocado, sautéed greens, and gentle boiled eggs. These hearty toppings make this savory oatmeal recipe a satisfying and nutritious breakfast, and so they additionally carry oats past the breakfast zone, remodeling them right into a scrumptious choice for a fast dinner or lunch.
So even if you happen to’re skeptical, I hope you’ll do that savory oatmeal recipe. It’s straightforward, wholesome, and endlessly customizable (share your favourite toppings within the feedback!). I feel you’re going to adore it!
The best way to Make Savory Oatmeal
My #1 tip for this savory oatmeal recipe? Use steel-cut oats! Their creamy, chewy texture is sort of like that of a risotto, which makes them a pure companion for toppings like veggies and eggs. Fast-cooking oats and even entire rolled oats are too gentle and mushy to make use of on this recipe.
To infuse the oats with savory, umami depth of taste, I cook dinner them with shallots and garlic. I begin by sautéing some finely chopped shallot in olive oil in medium saucepan.
Then, I stir within the oats and garlic and add water and salt. I deliver the water to a boil, scale back the warmth, and simmer, stirring sometimes, till the oats are thick and creamy however nonetheless have a slight chunk, 15 to twenty minutes.
Whereas the oats cook dinner, I prep the toppings. Discover my favorites under!
Savory Oatmeal Recipe Serving Options
I like to high my savory oatmeal with gentle boiled eggs, sautéed spinach, and avocado, with a sprinkle of scallions for oniony chunk and microgreens for a contemporary crowning glory. However the topping choices don’t finish there! Be at liberty to customise your savory oatmeal to your liking. Listed here are a number of topping concepts to get you began:
- Every kind of eggs. As a substitute of utilizing a gentle boiled egg, high your oats with a poached egg or fried egg.
- Plant-based proteins. Skip the eggs, and costume up your bowl with baked tofu or roasted chickpeas.
- Sautéed veggies. Use sautéed mushrooms, broccoli, or kale as an alternative of or along with the spinach.
- Roasted veggies. Add roasted broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and butternut squash within the fall and winter and roasted cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and peppers in the summertime.
- Cheese or “cheese.” Sprinkle on some freshly grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled feta, or, for a dairy-free choice, use this vegan Parmesan cheese, made with cashews and dietary yeast. Or, for the same hit of umami, you can high your savory oatmeal bowl with caramelized onions.
- Toasted nuts or seeds. Toasted sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, and/or pepitas add scrumptious crunch.
- Recent herbs. Sprinkle on contemporary cilantro or thyme leaves.
Serve with scorching sauce or pesto!
Savory oatmeal generally is a bit time-consuming to make on busy mornings, however if you happen to like, you possibly can prep it forward. Prepare dinner the oats prematurely, portion them into meal prep containers, and retailer them within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Reheat on the range or within the microwave, and high together with your desired toppings simply earlier than you eat.
Extra Favourite Oats Recipes
In case you love these savory oats, attempt certainly one of these scrumptious oats recipes subsequent:
Or, for extra wholesome breakfast concepts, try this submit!
Serves 2 to three
This straightforward savory oatmeal recipe is a wholesome, scrumptious choice for any meal of the day–breakfast, lunch, or dinner! We love the toppings listed right here, however be happy to experiment with them. Discover extra strategies within the submit above!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallot, about 1 small
- ¾ cup steel-cut oats
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2¼ cups water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly floor black pepper
Warmth the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium warmth. Add the shallot and cook dinner till softened, about 2 minutes. Add the oats and garlic and stir to coat within the oil, then add the water and salt and convey to a boil. Cut back the warmth and simmer, stirring sometimes, for 15 to twenty minutes, or till the oats are thick and creamy however nonetheless have a slight chunk. Season to style with salt and pepper.
Take away from the warmth and portion into bowls. High with the sautéed greens, eggs, scallions, avocado, and microgreens. Serve with drizzles of scorching sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice.